Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Mommy Rest:)

I was ready! The one thing you hear OVER and OVER again when you are pregnant is:
"Rest while you can."
"You are going to be so tired."

I wasn't worried about being tired while I was on maternity leave, but I was REALLY worried about being tired when I went back to work. I was worried about getting everything done.
The transition has been MUCH easier than I thought for one reason: I have slowed myself down. Things that I thought were important before she was born are just not that important anymore.
Before I had Genevieve, I never really, truly relaxed. Even when I was resting, I was thinking about what needed to be done. I needed to clean the house, work on a grad paper, finish that work assignment, etc., etc., etc. My brain was constantly going.

Having Genevieve has completely changed me. Doing simple thing like making her laugh, dangling toys, making silly sounds, giving her baths, and just being with her relaxes me. I take naps with her because I just want to be with her. I look forward to walks with her. I love playing dress up. I feel relaxed and I love it.
If it's possible, I am more rested as a new mommy. I know it seems crazy, but it is true. I want to enjoy my daughter, especially being a working mommy.

Now, don't get me wrong: I still have my moments. I just told Daniel that I felt like I was doing more chores than I was spending time with Genevieve and that was not okay. I told him I wanted a full day of NO chores and just spending time with Genevieve for Mother's Day. Of course, he said the exact right thing. He said, "Why don't I just help more with chores and get you something else for Mother's Day."

When I was pregnant, I was worried that giving baths, changing diapers, and feeding bottles would feel like chores, but it COMPLETELY doesn't. I LOVE it all.

0 comments: